1. A 6 inch outside diameter, 24 inch long 1/8 inch thick acrylic tube.
(I got rid of the previously mentioned tubes 2, 3 and 4 in 2007)
Tube 1 got wound with 27 AWG magnet wire (approx. 1400 turns) in 2005, and not quite as neatly as I hoped for. Recently, I learned that AWG 24 will work better, so I plan to get AWG 24 wire and redo this more neatly.
UPDATE 3/30/2018: I plan to use the low impedance primary feed method in a self-oscillatory scheme, but probably without any "power op-amps".
UPDATE 9/22/2008 and 2/27/2013: I now intend to soon or sometime get some Cirrus Logic MP108 power opamps for this coil, to drive it by the low impedance primary feed method, in a self-oscillating scheme.
I still need to get a top electrode for this coil. At this moment, the coil still has its top termination being the end of the AWG 27 magnet wire. If this wire is tucked into the top end of the secondary and bent upward so that its end is pointing upward, centered on the coil axis, and level with the top of the winding or a little lower, there is no corona or "brush discharge" at a peak voltage of 40-50 KV.
Please read my Copyright and authorship info.
Please read my Disclaimer.